Understanding Measures, Metrics, and Measurements
I like to distinguish between measure, metric, and measurement because when it comes to process improvement, design, benchmarking, and re-engineering, there is a difference between
- what you want to know (measure)
- what it is that can be collected (metric)
- when that information is available (interval)
- what the measurement is against (process or product)
- what the information means (indicator)
Below is an example of what these differences look like working together.